Thursday, February 7, 2008

Patience+Baking soda=Success!


I have a confession to make, I'm a slacker. Especially when it comes to stove or oven cleaning.
Back in Egypt I had the cheapest, no let me correct myself, second cheapest (at the time) stove on the market. So to bake anything I had to set the timer to rotate the baking sheet, or pan every 5 to 10 minutes. If I didn't one side would be burnt and the other side would be uncooked, you get the picture right. But you know what that stove came with an amazing top cover. If I had guests over, all I had to do was cover the top of the stove with "wonder cover", and viola. A clean looking stove in a second. Except that one time a friend was so impressed with my cleanliness and checked the stove top. Not so clean after all huh!
Well the point of all this babbling is this, I hate cleaning stoves or ovens, so tonight was about time I cleaned my oven, Yuck.
Why was it time? good question. You know that nice baking smell that fills the apartment after you bake Yum. This smell was replaced by a smell of burning socks or something. Which could only lead to one thing. BINGO!

So here's what I call this recepie, a slackers recepie for success:
P.S: If you have one of those fancy new stoves that come with their own oven cleaners don't bother reading the rest, and you're one lucky person:)
If you don't, then keep reading.

What you'll need:
A box of baking soda
A plastic spray bottle filled with water.
Patience( always a virtue)

Sprinkle the bottom of the oven with baking soda to cover. Spray with water until very damp, and keep moist by spraying every few hours. Here comes the patience ingredient, let set overnight. In the morning simply scoop out the baking soda, all the grime will be loosened, and rinse the oven well. ( baking soda needs a lot of rinsing, its well worth it for it produces no toxic fumes)
This recepie is taken from Better Basics for the home by Annie Berthold.
In my humble opinion a must have book for any green household library, along with Clean house Clean planet by Karen Logan.
Lessons learned:
1. Don't wait to clean you oven until it smells like burnt socks.
2. Patience will never fail you. Ina Allah Ma'a Al sabereen( Allah is with the patient).
Peace:)

No comments: