Monday, July 6, 2009

CSA :: Week two

Since I currently have nothing to write about and I mean nothing...
I thought why not have a thing where I tell all of you what I have been getting in my CSA box every other week. You're curious beings. Aren't you?

Even if you don't care less, here it is anyway ::

Collards ( two bunches)

Some strange kind of lettuce (a little bit on the bitter side)

Green onions ( yes this time they were really onions)

Some strange kind of spirally greens that taste like garlic.
( I really should look in the news letter.) Wait...

A couple of seconds later...
The garlicky thing is called Garlic Scapes. Did that help at all? Yes, I didn't think so!

Green Cabbage

Bunched turnips

Two big zucchini

Snow peas

Parsley ( one bunch), and that's it.

So far we've used up the onions, collards, zucchini, lettuce, and the cabbage.

This is all I have for you today. I know, it's sad when this is the exciting thing that I'm blogging about. What can I say, I love my CSA!

Peace

2 comments:

Garth said...

Garlic scapes are the best thing ever! Seriously. There is pretty much no way to do wrong with them. Chop them up and put them in an omlette/scrambled eggs? Awesome. Put them on the grill with a little bit of salt, pepper, and olive oil? Awesome. Chop them up and mix them with ground beef for hamburger patties? Awesome. Dice them and add them to a stir-fry or other vegetable + protein pile-based meal? Also awesome.

I eat them raw in salads, but that might not be for everyone. Seriously, these are one of my favorite ingredients ever. If you need suggestions, email me or my wife and we're happy to advise. Also, we're sad because we have about six of our own scapes left and the season has ended where we live. Dang, I love scapes.

Muslim Hippie said...

Of course! if anyone would know what it is, it would be the farmer in the family:) Thank you Garth, that's very helpful! Now I know what to do with those. I'll email later for other questions.
Peace!