Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ramadan desert recipe


The theme this month is Ramadan, in case you guys haven't noticed. That's why I gave up my cool hippie butterfly logo and am pleased with the crescent moon photo instead, well for this month at least. In celebration of this month and our wonderful CSA boxes I'll be posting some tried out recipes to share.

Since I joined the CSA I failed to mention all the goodies I've been getting in my boxes.
Even though this hasn't been a very kind spring/summer for our precious Midwestern farmers, with the delayed season and all the floods. They still strive to deliver a fresh variety of produce, not to mention the yummy eggs.

This weeks box included apples and crab apples that frankly I had no idea what to do with them. The apples were tiny, and I didn't dare bite into one of them. they looked so strange, we also received some tiny(yet delicious) plums and rhubarb along other things.
I am mentioning the fruits coz I made this delicious desert with all the weird looking apples, and it turned out to be wonderful. The recipe is from the CSA newsletter( thank god for that, some times I receive stuff, and I have no idea what It is and what to make of it)

So here's Aunt Bessie's summer fruit crisp:

2 OR 3 Cups chopped or sliced fruits( apples, crab apples, plums, rhubarb)

1/2 Cup Brown sugar

1/4 cup white sugar

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

5 tbsp cold butter cut into small bits.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, sift dry ingredients together.
Cut in butter and mix until crumbly. In a seperate bowl toss the fruit togther.
Butter an 8 by 8 baking dish. Pat down half of the crumble mixture to the bottom.
Add the fruit then add the remaining crumbly mixture on top. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is bwon and fruit is bubbly.
Serve warm with ice cream, or home made whipped cream.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Umaringalls said...

looks delicious,will definitely try it.