Sunday, November 30, 2008

Olive oil


Is probably an ingredient every household has. It's wonderful on so many levels. I use it pretty much in everything, from rubbing it on my baby's bum to polishing my wooden furniture (If I get a chance that is, with two kids under two, a squeaky clean house becomes less than a priority!).

Olives are one of the foods sworn by in the Quraan. It's a very special fruit with many worldly and spiritual benefits. I'll leave the spiritual benefit part to the scholars.

Here are some worldly benefits/recipes:

For skin care:

Ingredients:

Olive oil

Rub some olive oil on your hands. Benefits: Protects hands from dry winter weather.

I can also swear by olive oil on my baby's bum, I rub it in the diaper rash area once spotting a start of a rash. The rash usually disappears by the second diaper change (or if it's too intense, the third).

For wooden furniture polish:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
20-30 drops lemon essential oil

Shake well before using
(2 teaspoons lemon juice may be substituted for lemon oil but then must be stored in refrigerator)

Dip a clean, dry cloth into the polish and rub wood in the direction of the grain. Use a soft brush to work the polish into corners or tight places.

For cooking:

Ingredients:

Olive oil
2 eggs

Are you serious? Do I really need to tell you how to cook 2 eggs with olive oil?!!

If you have an olive oil recipe feel free to share:)

Peace.

No comments: